Google
 

February 20, 2009

got better

"Will you dance again?"
'Oh yes! As soon as I can walk.'

So I was wrong.
Dennis will dance again.
He is of course very upset about this tragedy. But it is the drunken driver to be blamed. Marylin's death and his damaged leg are not the result of one night tango.

When I was robbed, some blamed tango for I returned home late because of it. No way. I keep on dancing and of course am more careful about my neighborhood.

Victims are not the ones being responsible for all these.
'She was such a nice person and did not deserve this.'
I nodded with him and looked away.

When I knew he was transferred to Kessler, I was like "oh shit". People going there usually need intensive rehabilitation and close care after the acute state.
I went directly to the 2nd floor, hoping he was there because patients on the 3rd floor usually are more severely injured. I did not see him. Taking a deep breathe, I climbed up one more story. I did not see him. Did he come over at all? Or the transfer schedule was changed? Or he suddenly got worse and got transferred out to acute care again? All questions went through my mind.
I went to the reception and asked for him. He was actually on the 1st floor where I seldom walked around for patients allocated there were different from traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, stroke, or any other central nerve system diseases.

The closer I got closer to his room, the more nervous I've got.
I didn't know what to expect. There were messages on the Facebook, but none of them clearly described his condition. I was afraid that I would not handle it.
As I knocked on the door, his bright voice answered. I opened the door. He looked at me with his head tilted. I went "Remember me?"
'Yeah, of course! What are you doing here?' And he showed me his usual smile which comforted me a whole lot.

After chatting for 20 minutes, I felt much better.
It was me being relieved. It was me needing this visit.
His good spirit moved me. His injury not involving central nerves calmed me. It may take a couple years for him to recover to the degree when he can dance again, but the day will come. He will recover.

Take care and get better.
I hugged him as I had always wanted to do for two weeks. The sun felt warm in the close-to-freezing temperature. Take care and get better.




2 comments:

vivien said...

That's really good to know. Thanks for the update! He chose to face it. Yes, he will get better.

Anonymous said...

A big hug for you!