Google
 

February 18, 2009

four & half years

On Facebook, I sometimes accept people as my friends even though I never met or talked to them before. These people are tango dancers around the world. They are the resources for me to find nice dance floors in case I travel. I will click on the "common friends" link to see who the common friends are to determine whether I will accept the "friendship".

One day, I saw a picture saying that he may be a friend of mine because he and I share one common friend.
This common friend was my high school classmate, who coincidentally became my housemate in State College because I did not keep in touch with any high school classmates.
The guy appeared in the picture was my friend, but we lost contact. The picture was taken more than 4 years ago when he and I (and two other non-friends who I forgot their faces and names) went to Atlanta.

I had much longer hair and prettier face 4 and half years ago. See the left picture. Coincidentally, colors match in these two pictures, which could mean that I have not changed.


What has changed is the experience. The reason of the change is the experience too.
Years ago, I went to Georgia Tech because the friend liked to visit schools when he visited a place he'd never been.
Days ago, I went to the High Museum because Superstar liked to visit museums.

Years ago, I took pictures of the Coca Cola Museum because the friend liked the idea.
Days ago, I passed by the new Coca Cola World in Downtown (the previous museum in Five Point had been closed down after my last trip) and did not take any pictures because Superstar and I had no strong interest in Coca Cola.

Years ago, I went to places because I did not express what I really wanted to visit but simply followed the friend. I was a nicer person back then. But I should have not been nice. I should have been a better advocate for myself. Over the years, I have realized that being nice is definitely not a good strategy in a new relationship for being nice may deliver incorrect messages and cause grief.
Days ago, I went to places because Superstar and I both wanted to visit those places without blaming each other if the place was disappointing (such as CNN). I enjoyed myself much more than previous visit to Atlanta because all messages were delivered explicitly without mistakes.

See? I have learned and am happier.
The younger me may leave scars on people who coincidentally came and left my life. I thank them for enabling me to learn and grow. Trust me that the current me is an improved version.

It was actually good that I did not the Georgia Aquarium 4 and half years ago. Because it was a new experience this time. With Superstar and two other friends who I will not forget their faces and names.




Georgia Aquarium

Click the whale shark to see the whole album.


No comments: