Google
 

December 3, 2007

no connection

(Picture from Threadless.com)

Connect my brain to the computer, please, so that I can have access directly to the machine and install anything I want and everything in my head.
I need Adobe Acrobat to edit the grant proposal.
Getting grants is essential for the career of academia.
This means that to stay strong and last long in academia, I have to chase money. The line of research usually is actually formed by the grant source, not my original research interest. This actually is not big deal.
The big deal is the part of chasing money. I can talk about the dislike of chasing money in another post, not now.

Now the issue starts with my need of Adobe Acrobat, which is absent in my desktop at work.
Technically I am employed by the medical school. Physically I am working in the rehab.
Meaning: my funding comes from the medical school. But things I am using for work usually stay in the rehab.
I need to buy Adobe Acrobat for work. What should I do?

IT of the rehab says: NO, you cannot use money from the medical school to buy software and install in a computer of the rehab.
IT of the medical school says: NO, you cannot use money from the medical school to buy software and install in your personal laptop.

"Cannot" = not allowed

All the IT can do is lawfully not install software for my work but not to help solving the problem. It's not a computer problem! It's a human problem!!
What's in their heads? Messed-up wires?

I am not installing Adobe for leisure. It's for business, serious business.
An advice comes from the medical school. It says: "You have to justify why you are going to use your funding to buy software and install in your personal computer. I mean, the justification is like kidney transplant. I don't see why you really want to go through it." The advice is very convincing that I should not try to tell the IT about the whole thing. Justification is not allowed.

IT of the rehab comes to my desk and asks me to ask questions by filing tickets even though the IT department is simply 10 steps away from me. Well, he should have talked to me by e-ticketing too!
Oh, he adds: "Don't check email." He means gmail. They block gmail and any other free web mail to protect the company and also ignore my right of using the best email system in the world.
I am not shy to say that I love gmail. Sue me, IT!
And I like firefox. You are stupid that you cannot figure out how to safely and conveniently let the whole company to use firefox.

If my brain could be directly connected to the network, I would generate viruses to loosen up IT's computer, which basically is their real brain.
But the thought of connecting with their brain yucks me.
No. No way.
You IT stay in your boring heaven. I will keep tangoing away from you. I refuse to have connection with you.

As to Adobe Acrobat, fine, I figure a way to do it.
Because it's a human problem, a human solution will work: don't fix it but go around it.
They keep playing their policy card straight. I will keep dancing around and try to have fun.

If it's a computer problem, my experience tells me: IT in my company does not know how to fix such a problem. So actually I am lucky that I am not dealing with a computer problem.

No comments: