Google
 

April 18, 2008

terms without expiration

Jack Nicholson's name and image were on the DVD case, which was the reason why I picked it up. I didn't even know the title of the movie until laughing my heart out and crying my eyes out.

I was a bit bored at the beginning of the movie, thinking what an old topic and what an old-fashioned comedy. I didn't know how old this movie was actually. Now I know. Probably lots of movies made after this one borrowed ideas and humors from it.

In the whole world, there is one person who can make me change my plans just to please her because I want to please her and because she does mean that much to me.

In this movie, Jack Nicholson was not the element that made it so extraordinary. It was the friendship-like mother and daughter relationship that was depicted so well, so well that I rolled my eyes for hating what the mother did to her daughter, that I laughed out loud for what the daughter said to her mother, that I cried so hard for I could totally feel it as if I was in the death bed and as if Mama was watching me off.

Little talks about each other's personal life.

Criticizing each other bitterly but making up soon later.
Hanging up on the phone but no bad feelings.
No sweet conversations but two tough women.
Enduring trivial personality flaws because they knew each other so well. Because we know each other so well.

She is much tougher than me. Of course she has weaknesses but she is tougher.

I hope she thinks that I am tougher than her.

I saw a patient today. My first ever patient in my first ever patient-only study.
She was 83. She had been so optimistic and motivated to get better. I didn't see fear in her eyes until I went through the mood questionnaire with her. She calmed herself down by mentioning the happiness that her granddaughter has brought her. She wished to get better sooner so that she could go home and enjoy the time she could have with the 4-yr-old.

Suddenly, I felt the urge to hug her. Well, I didn't. I had to do it professionally (Why is "professionally" expressed in a way how "cold-blooded" is expressed?).
Hours later, I watched Terms of Endearment. Suddenly, having a daughter b
ecomes one of my life goals.
I can't guarantee that my future daughter and I will have a relationship as nearly wonderful as the relationship between Mama and I. But if I don't have a daughter, I will never have a chance to have such a great relationship. And I may not have motivation to get better if I am in a rehab at the age of 83. Yeah, I can think really far.

Therefore, I feel lucky for Mama. She has me.



Everyone knows that I am lucky to have her. She is so cool and cute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

errrr.... if you mentioned wanting a daughter 3 weeks ago, maybe there was something I could do... too late now.

Haha.