Google
 

April 2, 2007

worms between words

Technically, it is called the tilde, a symbol that does not exist in the Chinese standard writing system. But we use it. For example, I would write "Hello~". For me, it means a casual tone. I do not use it when writing to a stranger or a tax officer.

Recently, I see it quite often. For example, http://www.wretch.cc/blog/chon1990&article_id=11808170
I suspect the age of this blogger. People in my generation do not write like that. We prefer to use comma, period, colon, semicolon, exclamation, and question marks within and between sentences. A tilde at the end of a sentence is okay if it only appears once in an article.
But tildes everywhere are not standard.
I understand that language evolves. You prefer to write in this way, and I prefer to write in that way. One day we will write in a similar way that both of us agree as a norm in writing. Not that I am preaching a mark-using method or even a writing style. It is that I am not approving tildes replacing all other marks.

I am also okay when knowing that New Zealand has decided to allow the use of text message speak on its NCEA exams. A test-grader has to know a lot of abbreviations in order to understand a student's essay. By the way, NCEA stands for
National Certificate of Educational Achievement, which is New Zealand's national qualification for secondary school students. Students of course will not risk their grades by using some abbreviations that only they and their friends know. Of course, not just abbreviations are in texting language. Some standards are ur (for you are), 2nite (for tonight), cuz (for because), 4gt (for forget), and zup (for what's up). Slowly, I believe, more and more people will accept the use of them. X'mas is okay and printed on cards. Xing is okay and painted on roads. And younger generations eventually will be the main stream or hold the ruling power of the society. You cannot stop the evolution.
Chinese is also changing. Phrases such as LKK or 881 are seen even in news reports. I am following with the flow as best as I can.

But I have to say the "~" mark is difficult to pass my acceptance. I prefer a circle (in Chinese) or a dot (in English) to mark the end of a sentence, and a comma (interestingly the same shape in both languages) to mark a rest in the middle of a sentence. Worms between words are just bugging me.
And the pronunciation symbols! Sometimes I use one or two for sounds that are not represented in characters. But pronunciation symbols are used often among people who are 6 or more years younger than me. I assume it is a way to prevent people from China to read. But it is annoying even for people like me who learn those symbols at the age of 6.

We don't have a Chinese character for the sound "A", so I usually write "ㄟ", which is a pronunciation symbol used in Taiwan. We do have "的" (sounds "de") and "了" (sounds "le"), which do not need to be replaced by "ㄉ" and "ㄌ" respectively. However, many youngsters use them. Is this really a generation gap or am I too meticulous?

Am I?
Two spaces or one space between two sentences?
Space between a header and its following paragraph?
Parentheses or double dashes?
Tell me if you don't have your pickiness of details.

No comments: