Google
 

April 21, 2007

the bread

As mentioned in my last post, I baked a bread.
The recipe came from http://www.thimble.ca/?p=132, and I modified a little.
Here are what I put in the mixing bowl:

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 maple syrup
1/2 cup plain yogurt
3 ripe bananas
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp allspice
3 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
some walnuts

mixed raw material


60 min later

This particular recipe is different than many others that I have tried. The difference is that this one requires both baking powder and baking soda but no eggs. Marc suggests that the amount of baking powder here is too much and gives the bread some bitter after-taste.

It turns out the 3 table spoons of grated ginger are not enough to bring out the ginger flavor. (According to the original recipe, 1 to 2 Tbsp would do)

So I am going to bake another one with more ginger and no baking soda and less baking powder and two eggs.

The bread itself, regardless of the above evaluation, is good. We almost finished it.
It is great by itself, or dipping into hot woo-long, or dipping into iced soy milk.


4 comments:

Vivien said...

Looks delicious! Save a piece for me next time :)

Anonymous said...

我也要吃!總要輪到你煮給我吃吧?!

Anonymous said...

and.... you're starting to dip things in tea now, eh??

pei said...

After the past week's experiment with another bread, I've learned something:

With at least 5 table spoons of ginger pieces, the flavor of ginger does not come out until 3 days after it was baked.
That is, let the bread sit for 3 days. And the ginger enriches the bread.

As for dipping, yes, I dipped the bread into hot tea. Marc talked me into dipping it into orange juice, which turned out to be very tasty too. I like this dipping affair :)