Google
 

September 19, 2008

happy moments

Being in traffic means sitting in a slowly moving line of cars. Often, the line is not obvious; cars surround me everywhere.
Thus, I may look around. When looking around, my eyes may meet other people's eyes.
What do you do when accidentally making eye contact with a stranger? As the basic rule of eye contact clearly says: avoid eye contact. See through the people. I have discussed about this previously. You may take this entry as an update.
Usually this strategy works pretty well because all the drivers have this common sense. Like elevator riders, subway passengers, and city walkers, drivers stuck in the traffic should learn how to avoid eye contact.

A person waved at me with a big smile.
I made my face smile back and looked away.
Was I rude or was he?

Last night I finally caught up with this awesome movie "Into The Wild".
Supertramp wrote: Happiness only real when shared.
Poor him realized it too late and died lonely. His happiness might not be real but is real now because it is shared through the book and the movie. His happiness has become immortally real.
Hey, Jason, let's go to Alaska before we are not too old.

Perhaps that driver was happy and had to share his happiness to anyone. He may have just felt the tiny ticklish sensation of happiness. I may have been the first person right after the feeling hit him. He couldn't help but share it with me.
Better than not sharing, he thought.
I don't care who that woman is in that bubbly cute blue car, he kept thinking.
I have to tell her that I am happy at this very moment, he was getting prepared to raise his hand.
Oh, she is looking to my direction, he opened his palm and waved.
She saw me! She smiled back! Well... her smile looks fake, he kept waving and smiling.
Fine. At least I am happy, he drove forward and left the bubble car behind.

This past week was insane. (Paola would say I was totally destroyed. I love her English.)
I didn't have time to do laundry.
Because I went home late.
Because I got up early.
Because I didn't have energy to do anything to tidy up my apartment.
Because I didn't have enough quarters.
Because I didn't have time to go to the bank to get loads of quarters.
Today, after being jammed in traffic, I was determined to do grocery shopping while bearing the idea of doing laundry in mind. I timidly asked the cashier to give me changes in as many quarters as possible. She did! Five dollars of quarters!
I was so so so happy. I walked out the Whole Food Market with my heavy wallet, with a big smile.
Yes, I nodded and smiled and showed my teeth. The more I nodded, the more I could feel how happy I was. Try it. Nod and smile at the same time. You will feel even happier :)
If smile is contagious, nod gives the prolonging effect.

Why was the driver so happy? He must have seen Bungbung's smile.
I love my theory (nodding).


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

阿呆~ (nodding) :P

vivien said...

ha ha, that was a lot of thinking for a stranger's smile.
he would be even happier if he knew about this :D

Happy weekend~