Google
 

September 12, 2008

beetle for hyundai?

I don't get much mail everyday. My mailbox is small but only is crowded by magazines I subscribe. In the middle of a month, my mailbox can get quite empty.

Thanks for Kirua and Ching and others who occasionally sent me postcards. The post officer should not feel pity to me even though sometimes nothing arrived in my mailbox.
I don't get many ads either. Well... at least the amount of ads received here cannot compare to that in Taipei.

One day I got an ad asking me to trade my beetle for a hyundai. A brand new hyundai. With my name on it. There were many exclamation marks all over the ad, suggesting that I should feel very excited to get a brand new car with my name on it. Oh really? I see all the exclamation marks as question marks.

What on earth is the dealer thinking? Asking a bug driver to give away her bug for a, what, hyundai? What kind of promotion is this? Not convincing. Not enticing. Totally a turn-off.

If it were a mini cooper, I may have seriously considered about it.

When something like this happens, I can't help but feeling humilitated. Yes, sometimes I can take such tedious things very personal, especially after a long day of work, not much goodness of me left.
Is this how the dealer think about a beetle owner? That she may somehow suddenly prefer a hyundai over a beetle? If so, she would have bought a hyundai because it was sooo much more fun to drive it. Of course, this is not true. Hyundai has to make a great lot of changes, at all levels and aspects, to capture her attention.
The direction is: hyundai drivers want to trade their cars for a vw new beetle. Not the other way around. Dear Mr. Dealer, you are kinda confused.

It makes me to think about recent events related to bad persuasion. I don't get it. Why would someone try to persuade me into something even though he knew the technique or the bait was not sweet? Because he wanted a firmly negative answer? Because he could not make up his mind and asked for my help to terminate his advertisement?
The failure does not come from how the idea is promoted, but from what the idea itself. I don't want a hyundai.

I love coffee but not the bitter kind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, this one made me laugh...

I understand what you're talking about; it almost feels like, someone comes to you to offer a piece of shit for a piece of your chocolate.

Hang on to B-B, he's worth it.

vivien said...

:) i totally understand. I would not trade my bunny for anything crappy either.
However I think those who propose ideas like this actually do believe the baits are sweet enough.
It's just they never understand we deserve better than whatever they offer.
Too bad :)