Google
 

June 24, 2008

when superheroes meet fashion..

I love superheros, but not all of them. After the fashion show in the Met, well... my mind has not changed.
Guess I am not sensitive to fashion in superheroes or ordinary potatoes. My biased impression of outfits appearing in a so-called fashion show is that those are unwearable. Ordinary potatoes normally will not wear them in any occasions. I believe superheroes would not, under all the typical world-saving situations, wear those flying in and out and between buildings.
But I got it. "Inspired by superheroes" does not mean that world-famous designers (who?) try to persuade heroes to wear those when saving the world. Just inspired.

I was in the wing of modern art. I got it. It is okay that not everyone approves something beautiful. I was just wondering what the designers wanted to express, like when I stood in front of an Andy Warhol soup can. What? What? And then I walked away. Very different reaction and different appreciation time comparing to when I stood in front of a Miro.
One model had three panties on. "She must feel very insecure." Liu said. It turns out this was the most memorable outfit of the entire exhibit. This three-pantie outfit was inspired by Wonder Woman. Hm... you don't question art.
Another remembered outfit was inspired by Iron Man. Why the most sensitive parts were purpose
fully uncovered by iron? It did not look sexy on a plastic model but it actually was ok on a real body:


Many female outfits reminded me of racy Halloween outfits, especially those inspired by Cat Woman. Female outfits inspired by Spider Man were just too... too many fish nets, which did not quite resemble spider webs. Fish net is hardly my taste anyway. However, I did not disagree too much with the section inspired by Mystique (the blue woman who can reshape her body into any person) from X-men.

I have started having a thing for super heroes when Spider Man was on the big screen. I watched Spider Man three times, Spider Man II two times, and Spider Man III one time. You can see how much I like this guy swinging in Manhattan, and see how much I liked different sequels. I collected postcards of Spider Man.

As a loyal fan of Pixar, I was so glad that they did The Incredibles. It was incredibly funny and good.
Batman had been okay, but the Batman of Batman Begins was just awesome. I couldn't help but liked that dark hero.
Iron Man, the movie, was great. Do I like this hero? I am not sure actually. See, I liked Transformers a lot. I liked Iron Man the movie in a similar way as I liked Transformers. I liked Robert Downey Jr's performance in the movie.. oh... he was gorgeously charming. However, I have not decided whether I like Iron Man this hero character.
"Like" or "love" is not logical. The more analysis, the less likeness. There is just no emotional connection of oh-i-want-to-be-spider-man, or of oh-i-want-to-be-rescued-by-bat-man. Iron man? I simply want to be friends with him.

Fashion? Heroes, you are already wearing something not normal and kinda outstanding. Please don't do something tooo over, and it is okay to be not fashionable. You are geeks anyway.

Questions for the fashion designers.
What about Hulk? Or the soon-to-hit-the-theatre Hancock? No fashion inspiration from them? They do need nice clothes sometimes.


No comments: