Google
 

June 1, 2008

SATC


In 2004, my collection of Sex and the City DVDs was done.
A lot of things were done.
I watched the finale twice, both on TV, but once with Chinese captions.
On my birthday in 2004, Ching invited gal friends to try dishes for her wedding. That was a great fun. Every time when we six gals are together is great fun. The six of us are like the four in SATC. After the dinner, my ex went to my place for the finale. Everyone around me liked SATC even after I had left Taipei. I consider myself a good influence. Boyfriends, gal friends, and gal friends' boyfriends all liked the show.

Ten years ago, SATC started playing on TV. I didn't watch it until 2000 or 2001. Somehow one day, I turned to HBO and since then I have become obsessed with it. I would be sitting in front of TV on time every week, smiling when the music of SATC was playing with the bus splashed water on Carrie's weird pink dress.
One night, HBO did a marathon of SATC for at least 10 hours. I watched (although I had watched all of them before) until the heartbreaking episode: Big's wife fell down stairs when chasing Carrie out of Big's apartment. I stopped there and turned off TV and went to bed with sadness and relief that Big's affair with Carrie ended.
My breath could stop every time (at least 3) I watched the episode when Carrie couldn't stop saying sorry to Aidan. My smile was so wide when Carrie, Aidan, and Big were all in the country house.
Tears of Miranda were the most effective. I don't know whether it was because I think Cynthia Nixon was the best actress in the show or because I feel the traits of the character overlapped most with mine. I think I am 30% Carrie and 50% Miranda and 20% something else (called uniqueness of me).
Charlotte basically represents girls that I don't befriend with. Samantha are great but can be too much, and she would be my party pal but not a friend for private quiet talks.

The movie was like a re-run of memory with new exciting episodes! I loved it!
In the theater, I laughed and sometimes laughed with tears. Being surrounded with an audience of loyal fans was a cool experience.
Javor said some of the plot were corny. Yang preferred Carrie and Big never got married, or married but divorced. I preferred the movie as the real finale than the last TV episode in 2004.
Love is corny. People fall in love. There are no new love stories. People fall out of love. There are no new love stories. But there are new ways to tell stories. SATC has successfully told love stories in a new way since 1998. It's a worldly social phenomenon. It's a revolution for women, especially intelligent women who were expected to be silent for keeping their intelligent social perception.

Liu asked me whether SATC was as funny as Friends.
Well.. if you want to make a comparison, you should compare Friends with Scrubs, not with SATC. I like Scrubs and Friends, but they don't make me think after watching an episode. Friends and Scrubs are simply funny and don't put me into a meditation mood.
SATC is different. I laughed hard. My mood could be changed up or down. I would wonder what I'd do if I were in situations shown in a given episode. I was engaged in the show with those characters, and with myself. SATC is different.
For one thing, the acting skills in SATC were much better than those in Friends. If you want to understand women better, watch SATC rather than Friends. If you want to learn how women describe relationships, friendships, and sex, watch SATC rather than Friends.
But I have to give Friends some credits. It was a great show too but at a different level of greatness and humor. It's like... comparing salsa and tango. For me, tango is more interesting than salsa because tango includes not just fun but also some particular pleasure that follows after a challenging dance. You smile even after the dance. You smile even after an episode of SATC and you don't forget why you smile, which is very different from a quick laughter.

Anyway, the SATC movie night was special for me. (Probably not for Javor or Yang)
The TV show marked several eras of my life.
The movie marked something, which I may realize in next ten years.

No comments: