Google
 

February 22, 2008

beauty of winter

Now I am typing with gloves on.
You think I'm at my desk in office? I was typing with gloves and scarf and little heat fans on yesterday in office.
But no, now I am home, typing with gloves on.

I woke up with a unpleasant feeling around my head. The feeling was named COLD. Not a virus kind of cold. It was a sensation kind.
My apartment is at the corner of the building. Most of time it is not as warm as the other parts of the building. But I usually take it as a luck because I don't like my room so warm and dry.
I got up and felt the walls. They felt like ice. I felt like I lived in an igloo, a not-so-warm one.
My feet touched the floor and immediately felt cold and awake.

Let me take a shower, I said to myself, and tucked my feet into my fluffy slippers. Oh, I love my fluffy slippers. They have been with me since my first winter in the US. That was the longest winter in my life. It snowed for an unusually long period of time: 6 months.
I walked to the bathroom and immediately sensed badness in terms of COLD.
The bathroom is the warmest part of my apartment. It often keeps me in longer than necessary because it gives me warmth. But this morning, it was COLD. The radiator was not as hot as a stove top! There must be something wrong. Very wrong. I turned the faucet and waited for hot water running. Water was COLD. I frowned, not happy.
Above the radiator is the window. It appeared white as if someone covered it with white paint over night. I stared at it, wondering how I should name this kind of white. As white as paper, like how we describe a terrified face? As white as tofu, like how we describe a beautiful skin tone in Asia? As white as snow, like ...? Is it snowing now!? My soul jumped out of my body, and I ran to the living room window and rolled up the curtain. It was snowing hard. Very hard. Everything was covered with snow.
Beautiful. I guessed I am going to have a long weekend.

Kim called and said she could not make her SUV out of snow.
Dr. Anna called and said she could not make her car out of snow.
Peggy S. emailed and said no one should get out of the house.
Accidents have been reported on highway since very early this morning.
Neighbors answered my door knocks and said they didn't have heat or hot water either.
Snow is expected to continue until tomorrow morning.

I called the super. Where is heat? When can it come back?
Snow is beautiful when I stay indoors and warm. Now I need the warm component to kick in so that I can appreciate the beauty of snow. Please.

OH it worked! My complaint on my blog worked! As of now 9:55am, after 1.5 hour of my COLD sensation, heat has come back to my apartment.
And my warm delicious seafood Chinese soup is ready on the stove (I thank to myself for going to the great Chinese grocery store 4 months ago). I am ready to sit into my lovely couch and watch the lovely snow fall. Perhaps I'll turn on the online Jazz radio, which I listen to on radio in my car and in my shower too (FM 88.3).
Arh.. beauty of winter~
It's like the beauty of typhoon when I was in high school.
The power of Nature always amazes me. It can always be so powerful that it stops daily routines that I don't particularly like.
To enjoy the beauty, please stay in your house and keep the distance so that you can see a nice view. Don't try to drive through it. As I know, it's very dangerous. The beauty does not want to be touched. Just stay away and smile at it :)


No comments: