Google
 

January 26, 2008

robbery

I walked home from the train station as usual.
This 5-block walk was well lighted.
That night, I actually did not stay until the end of the milonga. Somehow I decided to leave earlier and arrived at my apartment building 5 before midnight.

The entrance of the building was not right beside the street but kinda hidden in the front yard. The yard was well lighted too.

As I was about to insert the key to open the door, a "medium black" guy (using police's way of description) ran towards me. I thought he was a resident of the apartment and I thought he was in a hurry or something.

He grabbed the handle of my bag and said "give me the bag."
I was not sure what he meant and still held the other side of the handle tight.
He said it again "just give me the bag."
So I realized what exactly he meant and he meant it.
I saw a car waiting for him and knew he was not alone and knew I was in trouble.

I let go. He ran into the red old 4-door car, and it disappeared from my view.
I did not dare to chase or look where it went. I just rushed into the building and into my room and turned on the computer to call police. Well... obviously can't call 911 via skype.
I knocked on a neighbor's door and borrowed the phone.
Police came in 5 minutes. The police station is just two blocks away.

That's what happened.
I was robbed in front of my apartment in a supposedly safe neighborhood.
The super said it had never happened since she lived here for 7 years.
Police said last robbery in South Orange was last November. Comparing to East Orange or Newark, it is a much safer area.

I was traumatized. Now it's been a week. I stayed with Kim for two nights. Actually I am posting this entry in Kim's place now using her computer.
My heart rate went up when walking towards my apartment even during daytime. I should be able to overcome this fear. It takes time though.

But life is still good.
Tango is still wonderful.
Just can't walk alone at night anymore. At least not until I move to somewhere even much safer than South Orange.

2 comments:

Kimberly Heckert said...

I can't believe such a relentless series of bad events could happen to such a kind, wonderful person. It will never make sense to me. But in the end, all is well. Cars, afterall, are only cars (even bugs). Documents, while important, are only paper. Nothing in NJ will ever be easy (always a long process involving herding of large crowds, waiting for long periods of time, and conjuring feelings of criminality in innocent people). But in the end, people and relationships are what matters. Had Pei-i never had trouble, I may not have been blessed with her company at this time when I also needed a friend. It's the bumps in the road that remind us that we are not invincible and that we need other people. And so, in this way, my dear Pei, you rescued me as much as I rescued you. And though it sucked for you, I am so glad your misfortune brought us closer.

Kim

Anonymous said...

大吉大利大吉大利...

這陣子辛苦你了。加油!必要時默唸"天將降大任"十五遍。

我現在很想煮豬腳麵線給你吃...