Google
 

August 5, 2007

GO BUG!

So it was 105 degree. Yeah... it means about 40 C.
My room was like a Bikram studio. So I decided to focus on staying away from heat. Just dance. And dance.

I was like "Cheer up, you hot beetle."

Right, I many times talk to my car. Recently I found guilty toward him. Right, I have decided it is a gay male car. Why? Because someone told me only girls and gay guys drive in-convertible beetles. So what? I actually take it alright. I'm mentally a gay guy sometimes.
The point is three incidences recently have made me doubt my ability to be responsible to my beetle.

Incidence # 1

Two weeks ago, my beetle was parked on the upper east side of Manhattan. I found it was quite hard to find a parking there, comparing parking in upper west side. Anyway, after several blocks away from Yang's place, a guy was moving out of the street. I switched down the passenger-side window and asked him whether he was leaving.
After one afternoon, one all-night milonga, and one morning, I went back to the beetle.
Well... I thought I parked on the 76th, which I also told Nino to drop me on. After a 5-min walk, I realized that the car actually was on the 75th.

I was happy to see it and unhappy to see it by the street. Happy because it was not gone. Unhappy because the seats were in weird positions, and all my stuff was scattered randomly everywhere in the car.
AH!!! I had forgot to close the window!!!
First, I was afraid that things like my DVD/MP3 player was stolen. No, it was still in its original condition. Checking everything, I found only one thing missing: my yoga mat.
That is, cellphone chargers, sweater, umbrella, CDs, maps, insurance card, and water were not the taker's interests.
Bizzare. Very bizzare and lucky.


In one Sex and the City episode, Carrie was robbed for her shoes. Yang said New York thieves or robbers could actually be that weird.

Incidence # 2
Everyday was hot this week. The beetle was always like an oven when I was leaving the office.
Two days ago, it was ok and with breeze. It was a sign of unusualness.
Ah! I had forgot to close the window again!
The institute was built at the rim of the South Mountain area. I had seen a turkey mom with her kids running near the parking lot. I had encountered a wild duck family crossing the road. I had finally seen wild deer alive. With that said, I was lucky that no wild animal chose to reside in my car two days ago.


Incidence # 3
This incidence actually happened after the "cheer-up, you" remark to the beetle.
After milonga in downtown, we took a taxi back to the upper west side, where I parked this time, and where my friends stayed. I told the taxi driver to drop me on the 71st, and the others could keep on to the 103rd.
I was shocked that my car was not there.
It was three in the morning. Who was I gonna to call for help?

Thanks to PS who had decided to walk me. He asked why I was so sure that my car was on the 71st.
Dah! Because I knew where I parked. How could he question me like that?
Did I know where I parked? No, the view was different from what I'd seen at the parking. Hm... admitting my lost of memory, we found the beetle on the 73rd. Windows closed.

Alright, get back to the topic.

I got the EZpass, mounted on the windshield.
When there were long lines waiting to get through the toll booth, I was easily passing everybody and smiling.
And smiling even wider because it said "GO EZ PASS!" on the board at the moment when the sensor sensed me, well, sensed my pass.

It is so easy to make me smile. Smile like my beetle : )






No comments: