Google
 

August 24, 2007

in print

Dear Mama, your dear girl is kind of carried away at this moment.
Call me when you see this post. If I am busy tangoing, leave a message and say you're proud of me.

Two weeks ago, I got a package from Penn State. I was like "what do they want from me?"
Well, this reaction was because a greater number of weeks ago, Penn State had sent me a survey, which took me good 15 minutes to complete. Yeah, I was being nice and thought I should be nice because I was a Penn Stater, right? After 5 minutes, I just wanted to finish the survey and hated the idea of quitting it because I had started it for 5 minutes.

I opened the package that arrived two weeks ago while Zabeth was visiting me.
There was an issue of Visual Cognition, the journal that I did not subscribe. I do not subscribe anything by mail.
And almost immediately I saw my name on the back cover!

Thankfully Zabeth was with me so I had someone who could totally understood it and hugged me :)
Hey, Zabeth, I love you.

And I sent Mama, Toby, and Dr. Anna of the Visual Cognition link that showed my name. And Toby's name too.

Three weeks ago, as usual, I tangoed in the central park. I was unusually early.
I sat down and changed my shoes. A woman sitting besides me started talking to me. She, who was like all other tourists who had asked me the same questions on the same bench, told me her husband was an NY Times journalist and interviewing people right now.
She led me to meet her husband. The journalist jotted down my words for two pieces of paper. His speed of taking notes was impressive.

Today, Bryan, who is happily tangoing with Sophie in Germany now, forwarded me an NY Times link.
Before I even clicked the link, Alexa chatted me that NY Times quoted me.

So Dear Mama, click here to see your dear girl's name again.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, we all read the post tonight while dancing at Stephanie's place. You are quite a 'legend'! ;)
I'm so happy for you and yes... more congrats to the Journal paper! Good work! Your mom will be so proud of you!

pei said...

I just found out they posted a video with the article. You can see me for 4 seconds.
Too bad that they only captured images of older dancers. The video and even the article may give an impression that tango is not attracting young dancers. Which is so wrong! Greatest dancers I have danced with are graduate students or dancers who do not smell like old men.

By the way, I just came back from Manhattan and had the greatest tango weekend because a connection with this dancer, Oz, was so amazing. We danced for at least 4 tandas each night in the Central Park and the South Street Seaport.

Sometimes, one dancer can make a whole night.

Anonymous said...

I just watched it. You looked so beautiful. It's funny that they captured older couples in classic tango songs and young couples dancing to modern ones. I personally enjoy classic ones more.

4 tandas per night!! wow! that sounds exciting and... 'dangerous'too ;)
Good connection definitely can bring magic to tango.