Google
 

July 17, 2007

Let's all get geeky.

After the last post, I need to give credits to a funny smart geek, David Pogue. He is a New York Times technology columnist.
At the end of this post, you should see his talk from TED.com (If not, please click here.)
His singing may not be as charming as his speaking, but it's not too bad to bear.
The talk lasts for about 22 minutes. If you don't have time for it, at least watch the last 5 minutes for his great and simple advice to software designers.

It reminds me of the book called The Design of Everyday Things by Donald Norman.
This actually is cognitive psychology. This actually is an applied field called Human Factors. Nowadays, Human Factors almost, at least from my point of view, becomes the computer science of being good in blending technology into daily life.
Why don't I jump into this money making applied field of cognitive science? The answer is simple. I am a geek, but not in computer science. I am geeky in other aspects of life.

Everyone should be geeky in some area. It's a quality of being special. It's a nice feeling of self-esteem too.
And if everyone is geeky to the extent that everyone wants their geekiness to be helpful for other human beings (like David Pogue and Donald Norman have done), the world will be so wonderful, marvelous, like how Diana Krall sings it.



1 comment:

Vivien said...

yeah, I watched this one before. He is something! very creative man, and I believe he is fun to work with too.