Google
 

July 16, 2007

go away, geek!

This IT person Mr. M came to help Dr. Zane whose desk is beside mine. It sounded like a simple task for Mr. M to deal with.
Of course, it is always simple. It could have been even simpler if we were allowed to deal with stupid simple computer problems by ourselves.
Anyway, Mr. M stood there after he was done with the "problem". He stood there and chatted with Dr. Zane. Apparently, Dr. Zane is a new comer as I am. She did not know the rule of "never start friendly conversation with Mr. M". She was obviously trapped and sounded like "thanks for your help and please go away". Of course Mr. M did not understand social norms and kept sharing his wonderfully boring stories of his whatever relatives or pets.

He had dealt with my problems.
Both times, he did not make it work at the first time. I went to his office on the first unsolved "problem" and emailed him to fix the second unsolved "problem".

Hey, if you are a geek, be professional! At least, do this simple job at your best! You are embarrassing the geek community!

How difficult was it to spell my name? First, he put an "a" instead of "e". When I asked him to correct it, he put "ie" instead of "y". Oh, come on. This is an old old American name that his grandma or his friend's grandma might have. How could he not spell it right?

And then what? I asked for access to a hard drive. I followed his instruction to fill a form and to ask my boss to sign it. And what did he do? He emailed me saying the issue was resolved and I had what I wanted. Well, no. I did not have access to the drive!
A simple act took two precious working days (there was a weekend in between). After I emailed him and complained, finally he kindly gave me access to the drive.

Why didn't I go to his office but emailed him for the second "problem"?
Because I would not give him a chance to chat with me. I had my lesson.

He never stops talking. (Nick confirmed with me just after Mr. M left my hearing space, although I did not express how annoyed I was by Mr. M. I had to keep peace and to be a nice new postdoc.)
Geeks can be funny too. But Mr. M is not at all. And he talks to himself when I don't immediately make comments on his words.
Even worse, I hate the way he talks.
He makes double chin when talking if you know what I mean. His chin is tucked so that his neck is hidden behind the folded flesh of his chin. And he only tucks one side, the right side. I feel his head is so unbalanced and going to fall to the left shoulder.
Because of this unnatural posture, it feels like he is only able to mutter but not to speak.

Oh, I know. Perhaps that was why Dr. Zane showed much more patient with him than I did. Dr. Zane works on aphasia.


No comments: