Google
 

June 8, 2009

stay up


Up is yet another great Pixar film.
As usual, after seeing the movie I went to imdb for more information. I found the following and couldn't help but admire nerds out there:
"If Carl's house was approximately 1600 square feet, and the average house weighs between 60-100 pounds per square foot, it weighs 120,000 pounds. If the average helium balloon can carry .009 pounds (or 4.63 grams), it would take 12,658,392 balloons to lift his house off the ground. (20,622 balloons appear on the house when it first lifts off.)"

I need a balloon to lift each eyelid. I need 20,000 balloons to lift Mr. M off the earth and away from my planet. Mr. M is a nerd type that could never induce fondness from me.
Jet lag is one of the worst things in the world. Another worst thing is to hear Mr. M the IT mumbling in my personal space, which is the entire hall way where my cubicle locates. I have tried to stay calm with him since the first week of my postdoc career (for example).
Today as I was fighting drowsiness while working, Mr. M came over and demanded my computer for 30 minutes. He claimed that he needed it for a Microsoft update.
Instead of saying "Can you see I'm busy?", I replied "Do you have to do it now?"
"No, not really. Hm... let me check one thing." He reached over and took a look into the system, realizing that my computer had been updated automatically. "Oh, I don't need your computer."

Why didn't you check so before demanding my space?

Why couldn't you disappear?
Why are you staying next to my cubicle and talking to J without noticing that he does not want to talk to you and I do not want to listen to you?

Mr. M told J that Cantonese was the second most spoken Chinese language next to Mandarin. Mr. M also stated that, as-a-matter-of-fact-ly, I was Japanese.
I was like... oh if you were so knowledgeable, how come you didn't know my first name was a super popular Chinese name, meaning that I am Chinese?
J avoided him by asking him to ask me since I was there a cubicle-separator away.
"No, you are wrong." I said without emotion.
"Really? Does China mean 'united'?" He asked another question.
"No, it does not. China, the English word, has nothing to do with the Chinese name of the country, which does not mean 'united' either."
"But the blah blah blah says.."
"No, it is wrong."
"But my ex-girlfriend, who is Chinese, told me that ...." He kept saying, and I zoned my mind out of his voice. Girl friend? Who wants to be your girl friend? Does the girl know she was your girl friend? How about your current girl friend? Have you met her in person? Does she know you are her boy friend?

Somehow, being disgusted by Mr. M made me awake.
I felt horribly drowsy all day yesterday, but stayed in office till regular hour today.

Oh, God of Balloons, please fly Mr. M away from me.
Also, go see Up. Go see all Pixar films. They are awesome!

1 comment:

Ting 2 said...

Also, you were away for 2 weeks - that's more than ample time for him to update your computer 3,140,485,992,736 times.

Chinese means "united". I don't even know how to laugh at that.

Sorry geeks... I am just not that into you...