Google
 

December 11, 2008

lack of coffee

This is the season of giving and forgiving.
I am going to blame the lack of coffee. Yes, I am going to give this abstract noun phrase a status -- guilty.

It has been raining all day. Bungbung's rear tires had been diagnosed as too thin. The technician suggested me to have them changed or to drive slowly in a wet weather. I did not have time to have them changed before my thanksgiving trip, so I made an appointment for another day.
That another appointment got canceled because the VP of the research center could only have a meeting with me that morning. Unfortunately, VP's pregnant girlfriend twisted her ankle, and VP decided to be out sick. That is, I got a good morning catching up with my work and re-scheduling Bungbung's checkup. In the meantime, I drove more carefully. The rescheduled appointment would be tomorrow.

This morning I was determined to have warm oatmeal for breakfast and consequently did not have time to make coffee. (Or because I had not had coffee, I forgot to make coffee.)
I drove to Chester to meet the most intelligent and functioning post-stroke participant I've ever had. She finished all the tests quickly and accurately. Her cat loved me. All in all, I liked the experience with her very much. But I did not have coffee.
My windshield was foggy because it was foggy out with rain or because my lack-of-coffee vision was foggy.
Carefully, I came to the office and got informed that I am going to give a lab tour tomorrow to a group of Chinese doctors who came all the way from Sichuan where the terrible earthquake killed thousands this year. They want to take a look of the hospital and the research center as their references for building a rehab facility in Sichuan.
I was like, What? this is really the last-minute notice. I am not a last-minute kind of person. I submit a grant one week before its deadline. I like to plan things ahead.
My eyes were almost closed, and I decided to have tea since it was half day and I wanted to sleep well tonight.
With tea, I called to reschedule the last session with the intelligent-cat-loving post-stroke participant, and to reschedule Bungbung's checkup again.
With tea, I gave a presentation to postdocs. What an aweful presentation. I was presenting data that could not answer the questions. Well, which is the actual purpose of the so-called pilot data placed within the grant, and now I think back, it was actually not so bad, and the data did sell the idea of a promising project that may answer the questions. Anyway, my brain was criticizing my project and begging for coffee at my presentation.

Kerline came over, saying she was not functioning today, thinking 11 am was two hours away from 2pm, and believing I was presenting at 11 am, so that she was convinced that she could not make it to my presentation as she left her place at 11 am.
Paola came over, saying she totally forgot about my presentation and asked me why I didn't call her.
Dr. Anna emailed me, saying please help Paola find a set of data that no one actually produced.
Kerline never drinks coffee. Paola, who is Italian, never has enough coffee. Dr. Anna... may or may not use coffee... I go with the may-not. (She loves using "may" instead of definite statement.)
See? The lack of coffee is guilty.
I was about to have a headache at 4pm but did not leave because I was obsessed with the power analysis, which I ran yesterday but now believed I did it wrong. By 5pm, evidence showed that I didn't have to change the power analysis. If I have had coffee, this hour would have not been wasted.

In the rain, I walked to do grocery shopping after parking Bungbung carefully.
In the rain, I walked back home.
A car hit me when I was crossing the road with all my right. It was turning right. It hit my left medial soleus muscle. I fell down with my left palm and butt hitting the ground first.
Ow! I said. My bag and grocery bag and umbrella were on the ground, wet.
I stood up. The car driving behind the criminal car stopped, and the driver came to see me. Are you OK? He asked.
I know you are not the one who hit me. Did you see who hit me?
He shrugged but asked me again if I was alright.
Another car stopped farther away, which was the criminal car. The criminal driver came over. Are you OK?
You hit me. My light was green, and you were supposed to stop.
My light was green too. Are you alright?
I stared at him. I said I am ok. What a lucky asshole.
Do you need my number?
No.
Can I buy you dinner?
No. Ow! My leg hurt.
Are you sure?
Yes. I am fine. You give me a ride home, two blocks down there.
Let me help you. Finally he was helping me. I am sorry. Finally he said he was sorry.
Man, you gotta be careful next time. I said as if I was teaching a child not to run with chopsticks in hand.
I didn't ask for compensation or anything. I just wanted to go home. I forgave him at the moment when he stopped the car and asked if I was alright. I was alright and somehow my lack-of-coffee mind was not as angry as I would believe.
As I stepping out of his car, he asked me where to get back to Seton Hall. Oh, kid, you are lucky that I did not have coffee today.

Coffee is essential in my activities of daily living. In the field of rehabilitation, activity of daily living (ADL) is some holy grail to achieve. You rate a person's ADL and determine if he/she can function independently as a dignified individual. If not, fix him/her.
I'm definitely having coffee tomorrow morning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

buying a dinner part really piss me off!!
what the hell were he thinking!(怒)

I'm glad ur fine.
I would exchange my lottery luck (207 million!!!) by all means for your safty~

Anonymous said...

Wow, seems like a very long day for you... But still, should'a gotten the guy's info, just in case, you know? What if you can't dance anymore?! (有沒有這麼嚴重啊)

I hope you'll sleep good tonight.

Kirua said...

pal, I think you should move out that area as soon as possible. I hope you leg is getting better.

BTW, ADL really evoked some of my deep memory when I was still in college...

pei said...

Anonymous,
Please work on how to win 207 million.

Ting 2,
I danced happily on the next day :)

Kirua,
I will move.
We should definitely work on a project together, on visual attention or ADL.