Google
 

May 7, 2008

happiness found in a kitchen


Should I go to Chicago or Montreal at the beginning of July?
Tango or Jazz?

Vivien, the rumor spreader, confessed to me that it was she who mistakenly told everyone in State College that I was going back last weekend. The rumor became a milonga. I hope no one actually went to the milonga for me. Well... a tiny hope that someone did go there for me as if I was very important ;p

I'm very excited. Not because State College is the best town in North America, which it really is not. It's because there are people who care about me. Alex is cooking for me like what she'd done when I was there. Nat is hosting me in my previous apartment (my previous life). Friends are responding my email. Suddenly I am popular again, which feels really good.

Having friends from all over the world is one of the best things in the world.
State College, though not the best town in North America, is a great international town. Or I should say that's the best thing about an American university: People come from all places to study and play. Here I have been in North Jersey, in a research center, for 10 months. Finally I met an European and an Indian this week. A real Italian, not Italian American (which is what half of my co-workers are). A real Indian, not Indian American (which counts for probably 10% of my co-workers). Before Paula and Alkar came, I was the only person in the center who needs to visit the International Office.

New faces make me smile or ... laugh.
They are so new to this country and to this institute. They are going to face what I faced and to complain what I have been complaining. And soon we will be good friends and complain together.
Complaining about America bonds non-Americans together. That's what I miss about State College.

I forget why I posted the ad for Chicago Tango Week in the first place.
Anyway, we tango around in all aspects of life. Hope to meet someone who can be partners, on dance floors and in real life. Hope to meet someone who connects with us. For example, someone happy to cook for me :) and I like her cooking. That's a great connection!

Congrats to Master Alex!
(the title of this post may coarsely translate the title of her blog
a more literal translation should be "looking for sweetness/happiness among fuels, rice, oil, & salt")

3 comments:

vivien said...

I only told ONE person...:(
I was out of town over the weekend. I heard there're two leaders and LOTS of followers.
I can't imagine the milonga in State College this fall because I know one leader will be gone...

Ting 2 said...

討厭啦,害我好感動...

Anonymous said...

我怎麼又變成asvab了?要怎麼把它弄掉啊?!