Google
 

February 25, 2007

obsession

Argentine Tango is more than a dance, it is an obsession. Inspired by the passion of the music, two bodies embrace, expressing the desire to move as one.
Dancing tango is the private exchange of trust and surrender between the man (leader) and the woman (follower). It is the interpretation of the music and the moment, expressed together through the poetry of dance.


The quote is copied and pasted from http://www.celebratetango.com/about_tango.html

I was clearing up my bookmarks and came to the "dance" folder. A website named "Celebrate Tango" did not immediately trigger my memory. I clicked on it, and before the webpage was presented, I remembered why I bookmarked it.


It was last July when I danced on South Street Seaport in New York.

The tango community in New York City holds milongas in public every weekend. It is a brilliant way to promote awareness of this beautiful dance.

Around sunset, one advanced dancer in the community will offer a beginner lesson on the side.


That day, July 23th, 2006, a woman, whose name does not come to me now, offered the most challenging beginner lesson ever. There were at least 50 people who just came to the seaport for no specific reason but enjoying the afternoon. The crowd was mixed with people with different ages (7 to 70), different culture background (more than 5 languages were heard around me), and various interests in the concept of dancing.

The woman handled it so well that in 30 minutes everyone could do parallel and cross systems naturally. Hey, I know many many many people don't know what the difference between the two systems. But the beauty is that you don't have to know the technical terms before you know how to do them. And I know many people don't know how to do them for the first month of their dancing life.

She was so experienced at controlling the situation and made people in the outdoor space listen to her.

At the end of the lession, she anounced that she teaches in a studio of which the schedule can be found in the celebratetango website.


I came back home and bookmarked it.

I finally studied the website until 30 minutes ago. Shame on me.

Soon, I found myself obsessed with words on tango. It is just like my other experiences with a tango website. Being obsessed.


Tango definitely is more than a dance.


Oh, I also found that they offer tango AND yoga trips to Buenos Aires and New Zealand. Wow, if I earn good money after my doctoral denfense tomorrow, I will go on the tours, maybe not this year but next year is very possible.


Yeah.. I have to put myself together for tomorrow. I wish I had obsession with that year-long study too.



No comments: