Google
 

January 20, 2009

new chapter


[click here for the historical moment]

He was nervous.
He should.
The most influential country is following him to a new chapter of history. Greatest? I won't use this word to describe the United States because I think Taiwan is as great as the US. The most influential the US is. When it sneezes, other countries get fevers. When it smiles, other countries dance.

It is something of being a witness here to see how this big system running. It was a powerful show at noon when two million people were gathering in D.C., when people in all cities of the US were gathering in front of TVs, and when I and all the other co-workers were gathering in the cafeteria to watch President Obama give his speech. The speech was reassuring and inspiring. Audiences everywhere were taking pictures, clapping hands, and wiping tears. Every thing seems so hopeful now as if the unemployed would get a decently paid job immediately, as if the poor would afford their medical bills right now, as if the Americans would stop wasting energy at this moment, and as if all peoples would actually equally treated in everyway.

God was mentioned too many times in the inauguration. I could not believe how much religion plays a role in an average American heart. Why can't you have faith in yourselves, Americans? You can change. You can better the system. You can bring a brighter tomorrow. You can alter your international image. You can make the world a better place. Yes, you can. Even if you believe that you don't think you can without believing in God, you can still believe in yourself in addition to God. You need to separate the State from the Church.
Obama is the President who will lead the country in the direction that most people expect to go, but he is not a prophet who passes down some messages from God. You have to challenge Obama when he does not keep his promises and responsibilities. He is a hero and a human too. You can believe in a human. You have to believe in Obama because you believe in democracy and because you have given him a great power to do good things.
Since decades or even centuries ago, scholars, thinkers, entrepreneurs, and hard workers from the other countries have come to the US and keep coming to provide their mind power or labor, which may be the reason why the US leads in various fields such as science, art, technology, etc.
Why are these people staying in the US but not returning to their home countries? One of the reasons must be that they believe in themselves and the spirit of the US.

I am not an athesist. Even if I had a religious label on me, mentioning God all the time does not make me more religious or inspired.
Please believe in Obama. Please follow his lead to make changes in the US. People, do not simply expect or watch him to do something. You should be an activist. You believe and you act.
Mr. President, please take the nation to a pleasantly exciting new chapter. Get to work.



I gave EK a box of chocolate for giving him some sensation of happiness. It is not a good season of getting fired. The job markert is as freezing as the weather. I was trying to offer some warmth. He smiled a little and opened up for me. I wish I could have known him more. He was always nice and humorous.
I wish his unemployment will not last long. I wish he believes in himself.
Perhaps his new chapter leads to new directions of happiness. If Obama represents a hope worth believing in, let's all hope, making happy wishes today. Let's all hope the wishes will come true in the near future.
I gave my wish to EK. Good luck.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, towards the end of his speech, I was bored...

And yes, I heard GOD way too many times. In my opinion, religion makes people lazy; it stops one from THINKING, because believers don't think - they BELIEVE.

Whatever. I'll be inspired when I find a job.

Anonymous said...

haha! I agree with you.
way too many times about God.
A doctor student in lab who's from Slovenia kept complaining why "God" is also in the oath.
"So people can not be the president if he/she isn't a religionist?"
well.. maybe you can't win the election if you're not a religionist in this country~