Google
 

October 15, 2007

tango related

You gotta listen to this.
I was hitting my head, reading and thinking and analyzing data while listening to an online jazz radio. Nothing could really enter my thoughts except for this moment when the song was playing. Yes, you gotta listen to it and feel it, especially if you dance tango like I do or crazier than I do.
Gary Burton, this is the first tango musician's name that I remember because his Libertango electrified me in that headache-inducing morning.
Three days later, I was in Princeton Tango Festival, listening to tango music with my body and soul without distraction of work.

Staying up for tango is not news. Like staying up for singing in college life is basically the college life.
By staying up, I mean until sunrise. And I know you know what I mean.

But staying up drinking and having fun with people I just met less in 20 hours is news.
I love Europeans.
I do. I love their jokes and laughers and taste in wine.
My host during the Princeton Tango Fest is culturally European. Sarah and I clicked right at the moment we met. She was born in Lebanon, growing up in the States, and had lived in Paris for many years, and teaches Voice. She's an artist. Her mom too. Almost everything I saw in her spacey townhouse was made by her mom.
Nino is one of my European friend coming from Penn State. He'd given me cheese and coffee when coming back from Italy weeks ago. Good stuff. I don't mind taking care of his car again in my neighborhood.
Maud is Nino's Princeton host. She is full of energy. Small person with huge laughter. She came from a tiny country named Luxembourg. Normally I don't like British English. But her British English is a plus to her super cool personality.
Quentin is from another tiny European country, Liechtenstein. He took many pictures while we were laughing together. Hope I could get the pictures sooner and put them online to share with you people.
Robin stayed with Sarah too. Technically he's European too. Ireland is. But he had worked all day and had to work on the other day, so he did not stay up with us. For you who do not know, Robin is my tango teacher.

And, Zabeth, you'd be surprised that I drank wine for 4 hours.
It's not much. Five people finished three bottles of good wine.
I know the wine was good because my body did not react like I was poisoned. Believe me, I could've not drunk more than half a glass before. I would've been so sick if they were not good.
So I found my favorite wine! It's Italian.
Nino told me that name meant "review". The brand started with "z". I don't remember the exact name and brand now but I will remember it when seeing it in a wine store.

And I thought I could not dance after that fun night.
Well, I had the best practica ever. My body was in a perfect state.
Skills and the feelings of tango had all mixed in my blood. I felt like I was breathing out a sense of tango too.
I was so connected to my leaders who are good leaders. And the music too.
Alright, this is too tango-ishly geeky now. But you get my point.

My butts hurt. Meaning I danced in the right way.
My feet hurt. Of course.
But my heart is happy.

Oh, by the way, the coffee was good. Small World coffee really is good.
Tango, friends, and coffee. I will go to Princeton again. And again.



BTW, I wanna promote this website of the tango teachers Murat & Michelle.
Robin is still my favorite teacher. But I find Murat & Michelle great too. They are a lovely couple too, beautifully loving each other on the dance floor and in life.
Two people, one from Turkey and one from Hawaii, become one via tango.
Oh, no, I was not being romantic. Tango is not magic. When two people become a couple and stay together, tango can glue them together and can also tear them apart, like any other couple activities. I was just happy to watch them dance on the floor and interact in a class. They were and are one. Tango just an expression or extension of who they are as one couple.

No comments: