Google
 

October 1, 2006

tangoing



You know you're a tango junkie when....
http://www.tangopulse.net/you_know_you_re_a_tango_junkie_when____.htm
You click the above link and read all sentences and laugh through lines and think "oh, those junkies"

Tango has changed my life. Yes, apart from yoga, the other thing makes me keep moving physically for more than 2 hours without intermission.
It has become a life style, being a tangoer. It has bigger impact than yoga on me because of the variety of music and the variety of dancers. AND I feel pretty, sexy, and confident when tangoing.
Yoga is good when I need peace and silence and being alone with a classroom of people.
Tango is good when I need human contact and escape from my frustrating research, and I find peace with another person flying on the dance floor.
I understand how to move my body better since practicing yoga. I understand how to feel with my whole body and respond with my whole body since dancing tango.

Marc has started dancing too.
Now he is not only sexy in the kitchen cooking but also sexy on the dance floor closely embracing me.

Why do we like what we like to do? Because those activities produce positive emotions in our head.
I am reading a great book "Our Inner Ape". I feel so warm and not alone on the earth. Humans are indeed different from other animals. But all different species are different among one another. So differences do not make one particular creature superior than others. I feel warm because this book describes similarities between humans, chimps, bonobos, other apes, moneys, elephants, dogs, and many many other primates (mostly chimps and bonobos, though) We as humans are not alone as a social, political, manipulative, sex-addictive, symbol-using, tool-making, pleasure-searching, friendship-holding, revenge-planning, or even more abstract, loving and hating animal.
We, as animals, do what we like to do is not because we want to have more and more offspring to pass our genes on and on.
We do what we like to do is simply we like eating crunchy cookies, watching movies, chatting with friends, reading novels, making love, taking hot baths, judging people on their back, wearing beautiful shoes, writing blogs, shoulderstanding, hiking, window shopping, drinking hot chocolate, making cute noices, and dancing.
We remember, as chimps, bononos, and elephants do too, episodes from long long time ago early in our life, and thus now we know who are our real friends and who are not; and faces of highschool friends and faces of elementary school bullies.
We celebrate life even we have an upset moment just several hours ago. We can still be cheered up by the most cheerful faces. (Like I frequently accidentally make Marc pinch my face and say so cute. His face of saying so cute to my face is so cheerful to me.)

If bonobos knew how to dance, they would've reduced the frequency of sex contact but started dancing this flirtatious dance. They would've tango in a less genderized way than humans. (Bononos have sex with everyone, same or different sex) In the world of humans, tango unfortunately is a sexist dance. Leaders are often males. A female do not get to dance until a leader comes to ask. Nowadays, in the US, in the circle of tango people are promoting both sexes should learn how to play both roles. I know many great female dancers can lead as well as follow. More and more guys are learning how to follow too.

I am learning how to lead for quite a while. Leading is very hard especially for me as a good follower (I am proud that I have this reputation on a dance floor).

Justin and I are offering a beginner tango class. It is very nice that from teaching I have learned a lot how to strengthen my own dancing basis and practiced a lot with different kinds of tango music.
But something is missing between Justin and I as dancing partners. It is the flirtation part. Even we danced so close that our upper bodies were touching all the time, I never felt sexually attracted.
When dancing from 11pm to 5am in Baltimore, I danced with many many different strangers. It did not matter how well they could dance. What mattered to a great dancing experience is the "connection" Tango is a heart-to-heart dance in terms of physical connection that literally I as a follower is lining up my heart postion to my leader's. In addition, the connection is also heart-to-heart in the sense of sexual chemistry or attraction. If the connection was good, I had a 5 to 10 minutes pure love affair with someone I didn't know the name and perhaps I would not see again. If the connection was bad, it was just a mechanical body movement looking like tango.
Justin is a gentleman, a nice guy who never says fuck in front of a lady (or female in general), a person who exercises proper manners everywhere. He rarely teases people in semi-offending ways. He smiles and says "have a great day" He is always trying his best to help and making best wishes to everyone.
He definitely is a good noble person. But being a tangoer, he should start trying different things as being a playboy.

Once I danced with Bryan. I could feel his inhalation into his lungs, transferring to my chest and my toes; his exhalation out of his noses and guided me to fly a long-legged step, inducing a involuntary gancho (my leg hooked to his leg or body). I couldn't help a pleasant sigh. It was such a nice feeling when the connection was that good. There was definitely some sex tension during those 3 minutes. But once the music stopped, he and I smiled at each other and said thankyou. Then I danced with Marc and he danced with Sophie.
Similar feelings to Charles too. Charles preferred to exploring different music or different dancing rhythm to old same classic tango music. I always felt excited when dancing with him. Tango is already a kind of dance without memorizing steps. Charles makes it even more challenging because of his playful and confident attitude. But he never made me feel challenged. He loved me when dancing with me. I felt being honored and protected and at the same time having fun. All the flirtatious touch, movements, and eye-staring were for the sake of an excellent dance, not for really sleeping with each other.

Justin and I are not tango beginners. We are intermediate beginners. Many things need to be learned. I need to learn how to be more aggressive to make my own non-led movement and at the same time even much more sensitive to follow the leader.

There are already so many unnessary taboos in life. Doing a number 2 and doing another person are on the top list. Tango and yoga is such a releaf from life of taboos. In yoga, I don't care about my own body image. I do not wear bras for example. In tango, I want to seduce my dance partner when dancing. I want him/her to get my message and return with flirtation by moving bodies so in sync that we are a part of music and we build up a little universe together and hold it intact for a few mimutes.

No comments: