Google
 

August 30, 2006

discovery with new feelings




How many times have I seen a squirrel or a couple of squirrels or a group of squirrels running around, playing, chasing, and eating in Taipei where I was born and living for 22 years? The answer is zero.How many times have I seen a squirrel or a couple of squirrels or a group of squirrels running around, playing, chasing, and eating in northeast America where I have been living for 4 years? The answer is … hm… the number is too big, and the definition of counting has to be reset.

Not surprisingly, I was surprised by those cute little creatures happily existing with people during the first months of my American life. I stared at them, observing their movements, taking pictures, feeding them. Their fluffy long tails waved in the air when they were jumping across the field, running along tree branches. When a squirrel stayed still, its tail was off the ground and gave its body a nice balance and a symmetrical image.I liked it when they used their "hands" holding food and focused on eating. I liked it when they chased each other for fighting for territory or mates. I liked it when they dug holes through a layer of snow to find food that they stored before winner.

Now I still like them. But of course, I do not stop to look at each of them as often as previously. They are still lovely but not so attractive anymore.

Last weekend, walking in New York around 1st Ave and 23rd St, a squirrel captured my attention. This guy wore shining beautiful jet-black hair, searching for food in grass of a little yard. I never saw a black squirrel and was amazed by its elegant feature. It was like watching shampoo commercial in Taiwan where shining, strong, black hair was emphasized with an image of a long-haired model."Wow, cool! Now I am searching for a snow white squirrel for my picture collection." I said after taking pictures of this cute little black beauty.

Today, walking on campus, where the number of squirrels may be equal to the number of students, a squirrel blocked my path. This guy was lying prone on the sidewalk, eyes closed, tail down. This was very unusual. Squirrels normally have ADHD. When being approached by people, most of them get freaked out and jump away, and some are brave enough to get close to people (for food usually). I passed by the squirrel. It did not move or change its position at all, remaining lying on its stomach. Thus, I stopped right in front of it and picked out my camera. It opened its eyes and looked up to me. It seemed breathing heavily and was a bit concerned about what I was going to do to it. But it went back to its comforting position again. I think it must be old and waiting for the nature takes its life away. However, this was the first time I ever saw a squirrel like it. I always had a question where they were hiding when waiting for death. I saw dead squirrels on the roads, killed by car. I never saw dead squirrel bodies elsewhere. I grew pity on this squirrel lying on the sidewalk, wishing it died peacefully.

Something new discovered by the not-so-new me.
Some feeling randomly beautiful.

No comments: