Google
 

December 24, 2009

silent night

Not a single sound has been coming through the walls.
The famous Irish bar next door is abnormally quiet.
Hoboken 7pm today feels like South Orange 7pm.
By 10pm, not a person is walking on the street. This is the first time I feel danger in this town.
Everyone is home.

A Christmas song has been ringing in my head since the Wednesday holiday concert in the Research Center.
I guess I feel peaceful.

I had my nails done.
I had a beer and a shot of almonds. Half of the people in the bar spoke with a foreign accent.
Are you like me who failed to get back to your family by tonight?
They are probably home. I am too. But families are far away.

Mama called and wondered why I was not with anyone. I reminded her that this is a family holiday, and that I am my own family here. She suggested me to get used to being alone, but if I could not stand anymore, she would welcome me home. Her words made me feel peaceful.

Life goes on, on to the next stage and the next. My campus-centered life became work-centered. The process was kinda painful and awful, but I survived. Now coworkers and I have formed a strong team, backing me up and making me smile.

Priyanka asked me if I celebrated Christmas. Comparing to Westerns, of course I don't really do anything serious or religious. But I like it. It makes me warm. All the decoration and all the greetings and all the smiles calm me.

Once I drew a tree for Christmas. It was not well appreciated.
The next time I bought a plastic tree. It was a waste and never used later.
Those two Christmases were not my favorites. Therefore, I don't need to have a Christmas tree in the house to enjoy the festive feeling. I can simply go out, and trees are on the street and are decorated beautifully.
It is a silent night. There is even no siren shouting around. It is simply a nice winter night, quiet and light.

Merry Christmas.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, my dear